Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My Different Dongzhi Festival

Peanut tangyuan (or glutinous rice balls) - Source from: QQ Love In The Kitchen
Once a year, my family supposedly to make tangyuan by buying a pack or two glutinous rice flour on Chinese Winter Solstice (or Dong Zhi Festival). Although my family and relatives practically will held the reunion dinner a week or two weeks later after the festival, but I am still enjoying the taste of tangyuan.

Normally my mother and I will roll the flour into ball. To make the red (pink) one, my mother will put a few drops of red colouring onto the flour. My mother also will later that evening, to boil a pot of soup contained pandan grasses, gingers and sugar.

However, I asked my mother to try something special this year. I told her to try to get those pack of glutinous rice balls (already made, packed and can be found everywhere) and have a try. Since I told my mother about it, she also decided to replace the soup that we had been doing for almost 23 years to red bean desserts.

I would still preferred the traditional one (soup) and I can understand that my mother unable to make the glutinous rice balls with my cousin in the house, disturb everything that she can see. I tried it just now and found out that I cannot hold myself to drink the traditional soup for real. The red bean dessert caused me to have a full stomach, some more when I just finished my dinner.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


ShoutMix chat widget

Little Grey Rabbit in the Blogging Communities

blog malaysia: bloggers directory Komuniti Blogger Malaysia The Star R.AGE All Malaysia Info Blogger Project 大馬部落 我的部落 | 我的博客書 WWE Universe Earth Hour Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? Malaysia new RedesignMalaysia.com Blog for FT Cares! Selangor Bloggers Tweeter Malaysia
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Blogger Templates